Last Updated: 3 February 2017
Information We Collect
We collect many different types of information, depending on how you use our service:
- We collect the actual contents of the files uploaded to your ExaVault account ("Customer Data").
- Additionally, we collect "metadata" about your Customer Data that is distinct from the actual content itself ("Customer Metadata"). Customer Metadata includes file and folder names, creation and modification dates, permissions, and size information.
- We also collect metadata about your account overall, not tied to any specific file (“Account Metadata”). Account Metadata includes general account settings, users and their associated data (passwords, access restrictions, etc.), group settings and customer brand data (name, logo, etc.)
- We also collect usage information customarily logged by web and FTP server software, including the date and time of your visit, the originating IP address, the pages and images requested, and other similar types of information. We also get usage data from third parties such as Google Analytics, who may place tracking pixels our site. Collectively, we call this "Usage Data".
- We collect information from those who communicate with us via e-mail or our website, and information volunteered by consumers, such as the information you provide during account registration and signup ("Registration and Billing Data"), and contact form submissions and E-Mails ("Correspondence Data").
How Information is Used
- "Customer Data" is stored securely and may only be accessed by users who have been given the appropriate permissions to that Customer Data by someone with administrative permissions on the account. We will not access this data for any other purpose, except as provided below.
- "Customer Metadata" is used by our software systems to provide the Service and may be displayed, subject to our permissions controls, to users on the account.
- "Usage Data" and "Correspondence Data" is used to help us understand how the Service and our websites are being used and to help us improve our websites and the Service.
- "Registration and Billing Data" is used for billing purposes and to notify you about important service-related issues. ExaVault uses a third-party payment processor and Registration and Billing Data will be sent on to such payment processor.
- E-mail addresses collected as part of your use of the service (e.g. for sending a customer a notification of available files) will only be used for the purpose you requested that they be used for, and will not be used to communicate service announcements.
- Unless you request otherwise, we may use the name of your company and screenshots from your public website in advertisements promoting ExaVault.
- If we ever were to engage in any onward transfers of your data with third parties for a purpose other than which it was originally collected or subsequently authorized, we would provide you with an opt-out choice to limit the use and disclosure of your personal data.
Our Access To Your Data
- However, as is reasonably necessary to facilitate provision of the Service, employees and contractors of ExaVault may have access to your Customer Metadata, Account Metadata (other than passwords), Usage Data, Registration and Billing Data, and Correspondence Data, and may use that to communicate with you or improve the service. For example, we may use the total amount of data you’ve stored to recommend you switch to a higher or lower plan tier.
- Wherever possible, browsing sessions to the Service are secured with SSL, to prevent eavesdropping, tampering, and message forgery. If SSL is enabled, you will see a lock icon in your browser.
- If you connect via FTP, you may choose to use FTP, FTP-SSL or SFTP. Only FTP-SSL and SFTP are secured, standard FTP is not.
- At your option, you may turn on ‘Secure Only Mode’, which will reject any non-secure connections to your account. We recommend that you do this.
- Cookies: Use of the Service requires support for cookies, small pieces of data that are stored on your computer's hard drive and transmitted back to the Service with each web page request. A cookie simply identifies your browser to the Service by assigning it a unique ID number, which enables us to associate your browser session with your account.
U.S.-EU Data Privacy Shield Framework
- ExaVault’s accountability for personal data that it receives under the Privacy Shield and subsequently transfers to a third party is described in the Privacy Shield Principles. In particular, ExaVault remains responsible and liable under the Privacy Shield Principles if third-party agents that it engages to process the personal data on its behalf do so in a manner inconsistent with the Principles, unless ExaVault proves that it is not responsible for the event giving rise to the damage.
Client Services Manager
Phone: +1 (510) 500-0245
344 Thomas L Berkley Way, Suite 410
Oakland, CA 94612
- ExaVault has further committed to refer unresolved privacy complaints under the EU-US Privacy Shield Principles to BBB EU PRIVACY SHIELD, a non-profit alternative dispute resolution provider located in the United States and operated by the Council of Better Business Bureaus. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint, or if your complaint is not satisfactorily addressed, please visit https://www.bbb.org/EU-privacy-shield/for-eu-consumers/ for more information and to file a complaint. Please note that if your complaint is not resolved through these channels, under limited circumstances, a binding arbitration option may be available before a Privacy Shield Panel.
- ExaVault is subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
- You may use the Service to delete any of your "Customer Data," and doing so will remove such content from our active servers immediately. Your data may remain on our backup servers for a short period of time, but will be automatically removed.
- All of your "Customer Data" and "Customer Metadata" will be deleted from our active and backup servers within 30 days after you cancel your account.
- We do not support removal of Registration and Billing Data, Correspondence Data or Usage Data.
- ExaVault acknowledges that EU individuals have the right to access the personal information/data that we maintain about them. An EU individual who seeks access, or who seeks to correct, amend, or delete inaccurate data, should direct his query to our Client Services manager or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If requested to remove data, we will respond within a reasonable timeframe.
- Your use of the Service is governed by a Terms of Service, which will prevail in the event of a conflict with this document.
- This document was last updated according to the date at the top of this page.