Transmit is a great commercial FTP client for Mac OSX. Development began in 2005 and is maintained by Panic.com. The trial version is available for seven days. The full version is available with a one-time payment.
Developed specifically for Mac computers, Transmit offers a number of features built off of technologies provided by Apple.
Transmit FTP can be downloaded from the Transmit website.
If you've installed programs on MacOS X before, then there will be no surprises when you install Transmit.
Transmit will download as a zipped executable file that will be unzipped automatically by your Mac. Copy the unzipped executable to your Applications folder and double-click to open the program.
Now that Transmit is installed – how exactly do you use it? Transmit has made it a cinch to connect to your FTP server. To get started, you need only to master two things:
The Server window is on the right-hand panel when you first open Transmit.
In the Server window, you'll need some information to connect to your FTP server:
Here is what the connection to your ExaVault account might look like:
When you are all done, you can either click the Add to Servers button to save the connection information for future connections, or click Connect to get connected to your server.
When you first connect to yourFTPserver, Transmit will prompt you to accept the provided host key. Accept this key by clicking theConnectbutton to confirm to Transmit that the connection is expected and add the key to the known hosts.
You disconnect from your FTP server by clicking on the Eject button. This can be found to the left of the connection name at the top of the panel. Look for a button with an arrow pointing up. After disconnecting, the panel will go again to the Server window to give you an option to open a new connection.
To close Transmit entirely, select Quit Transmit from the Transmit menu.
The File Manager is what transfers files. Like most FTP clients, the layout of the File Manager window in Transmit has two sections:
The Local List is on the left-hand side of the screen.
A special feature of Transmit is that you can swap out the local connection and connect to another remote system, allowing you to see files on two remote FTP servers at once.
The Remote List is on the right-hand side of the screen.
Transferring files is easy: just drag them from one side of the window to the other.
To upload files:
1. Select the file(s) that you want to upload to the local list.
2. Drag them to the remote list.
To download files:
1. Select the file(s) that you want to download in the remote list.
2. Drag them to the local list.
Transmit includes some extra utilities that can be very helpful in managing your files.
Transmit allows you to see detailed file information for both local and remote files.
To view detailed file information using the Inspector widget:
1. Click on a file or folder for which you'd like to see additional details.
2. Click the orange Info icon button to open the Inspector widget on the right-hand side of the Transmit application.
File size, details, and permissions are displayed in the Inspector widget.
Many FTP clients will allow you to simultaneously view files on your local computer and a remote system (such as your ExaVault account). With Transmit, you can connect to two remote systems at once, enabling you to view and compare files at both locations.
To connect to a second remote server:
1. Click the disk icon next to your local computer location in the left-hand panel of the file manager. This will take you back to the Server window.
2. Double-click the server to connect to from the server list or click the Quick Connect button to enter new server credentials.
Transmit includes a tool that allows you to synchronize the files between folders on two separate systems. Using this tool, you can quickly update and match up files between your local computer and your ExaVault account. You can even use this to synchronize files between your ExaVault account and another FTP server.
To synchronize files:
1. Navigate and open the folder you want to synchronize on the left-hand panel of the file manager.
2. Navigate and open the folder you want to synchronize on the right-hand panel of the file manager.
3. Click the purple Sync icon button (it looks like a purple flower) to bring up the Sync Files screen.
4. Select the options you want to use in your synchronization.
5. Click the Simulate button to preview what will be changed as part of the synchronization.
6. Click the Synchronize button to complete the sync process.
Transmit supports the following protocols for connecting to your ExaVault account:
Don't see the answer you need? Drop us a note, and our support team will email you back.Send Email
Schedule a 1:1 screen-share to get all your questions answered by our support team.Book a 1:1