This is an old revision of the document!
Users are alternate logins to your ExaVault account. When you create user accounts, you grant other people access to the contents of your account. Users can login with SWFT, Desktop FTP clients or EVFTP, our secure Java client.
Users may be full access, or may be restricted to:
- Only log into a specific sub-folder.
- Allow (or not) downloading files.
- Allow (or not) uploading files and creating new folders.
- Allow (or not) viewing files on the server.
- Allow (or not) deleting files on the server.
- Allow (or not) changing of their login password.
For more details, see User Security.
To access the Users page:
- Log into SWFT as the main account user (https://swft.exavault.com/).
- Click the Users link in the toolbar.
On the Users page, you will see an overview of all of the user accounts that you have created for your FTP server.
- To add a new user, click the 'Add New User' button.
- To edit an existing user, click the 'Edit' button next to the user you wish to edit.
- To delete a user, click the 'Delete' button next to the user you wish to delete.
When you add a user, you will see a window where you may enter the following details:
|nickname||A meaningful name for you to help you remember who uses this login.|
|username||The username that they will use to login.|
|The email address for this User (so you can contact them).|
|password||The password for this user (make sure you record it somewhere!)|
|role and permissions||The actions that the user is allowed to do on your account|
|home folder||The directory that the user will automatically log into when they connect. They will have no idea that any other folder outside of this folder exists.|
Usernames can be just about anything you like, but be aware of three restrictions:
- Usernames must be alpha-numeric and minimum of three characters.
- Each username must be unique. For example:
- You cannot have two accounts with a username of
- The username
fredmay only ever log into one FTP account.
- You may find it easiest to use an email address as a username.
Editing a user is very similar to adding a user. There is one key difference however: you won't be able to see the user's password.
- User passwords are encrypted for security (just like the master user's password).
- All users must have a password that is three characters in length.
- You may change the password in the edit window.
- You may prevent the user from changing their password
You may also “disable” a user. This will prevent the user from logging in to your account – while still allowing you to own the username.
Many people have asked how to distribute instructions to users regarding how to transfer files. Here is a template for an email letter that you can use to send out instructions:
Dear [addressee name],
This message is to let you know how to upload and download files to our site. Here are the details for connecting:
User Name: [User's username]
Password: [User's password]
You may also use desktop FTP software (such as FileZilla or Cyberduck) to connect. If you are already familiar with FTP, here is the server name that you will need in addition to your username and password:
Server Address: [your server name]
Connecting Via https://swft.exavault.com/
Instructions with pictures: http://www.exavault.com/docs/faq/01-uploading-downloading
1. Browse to https://swft.exavault.com/
2. Enter your username and password and click the Login button
To upload files:
1. Click on the “Upload” button.
2. In the Upload window, click the “select files to upload button.”
3. In the Selection window that appears, select the file(s) you want to upload and click the Open button.
4. Click the “Start Upload” button in the Upload window.
To download files:
- You can download individual files simply by clicking on them.
- You can download multiple files and folders as a zip file by:
—> Check the boxes next to the items you want to download
—> Click the “Bulk Actions” drop-down and then click “download.”
Please contact us if you have any questions.