Using Favorites and Folder Bookmarks with SmartFTP
In most FTP clients, you get a site manager that stores your server name and password, and probably a few more features such as time adjustment. One of the impressive features about SmartFTP is the level of detailed settings you can set for each one of your favorite sites.
Best of all, when you make a connection in the Remote Browser window, an entry is automatically made into your Favorites for you.
Creating a New Favorite
To create a new favorite:
- Click the File menu > New Remote Browser.
- Fill out the details for your connection into the New Remote Connection message box:
- Protocol: We suggest you use SFTP
- Host: This is your FTP server address.
- Log in type: Username and Password.
- Username: Your FTP username.
- Password: The password for your FTP username.
- Make sure that the Auto ☑ option is checked at the bottom of the New Remote Connection message box.
Favorites are managed much like bookmarks in a web browser. In the favorites window, you'll see a list of sites that you've connected to.
To edit the settings for a favorite site:
- Click the Favorites menu.
- Right-click the favorite site in the Favorites menu and select Properties.
The General Page: The Heart of a Connection Favorite
The General page in the Favorite Properties window is where you manage the fundamental details for a favorite connection:
- Name: This should be a name that describes your site.
- Protocol: This determines the protocol that will be used to connect to your FTP server.
- Timezone: Select (GMT) Coordinated Universal Time for your ExaVault Account.
- Login Type: Select Username and Password. If you use SSH keys to connect to your FTP server, you can use Username.
- Username: Enter your FTP username.
- Password: Enter your FTP password. If you leave this field blank, you will be prompted for a password when you login.
Setting Local Folders
Do you find that you have to navigate to the same folder every time you connect to your ExaVault account? If so, you'll want to setup a Local folder. That way, every time you connect to your ExaVault account you'll be navigated automatically to the correct folder on your computer.
To setup a Local Folder for a Favorite:
- Open the Favorites window by clicking the Favorites menu > Edit Favorites.
- Right-click the favorite site in the right hand pane of the favorites window and selecting Properties.
- Select the Local page.
The local folder is set by clicking the folder icon in the Local Folder box. You can also enter a local folder by typing it in.
The On Connect drop-down box works as follows:
- Open on Demand: This will add an entry to the Recent Folders button in the Local Browser window.
- Open in a Existing Local Browser: This will change the directory automatically in the current Local Browser window.
- Open in a New Local Browser: This will open the folder a new Local Browser window. (You can have multiple remote and local browser windows opened in SmartFTP.)
Other Features in Favorites
There are many more features that you get with Favorites in SmartFTP. SmartFTP has a number of advanced features that are well detailed on the SmartFTP Knowledge Base: